Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Nicaragua Bound

I can't believe tomorrow I will be traveling to Managua Nicaragua for an opportunity of a lifetime! I will be with Bessie Barth and Amy O'Dell from the non-profit Bright Children International, along with an outstanding team of women who will be providing therapeutic interventions to children with special needs. Lucky me, I get to tag along and photograph the journey!

I think it is the dream of many photographers to travel abroad, specifically for the sake of their craft. For me, I certainly never imagined that I would be doing it this early on in my career, if ever at all.

A little back story.....

This opportunity came to me via a friend from the past who was Nicholas' music therapist, Bessie Barth. Bessie owns Music to Grow on. She and her therapists treat individuals and groups of children and adults both with and without disabilities. They also provide adaptive lessons and Mommy and Me groups.  Bessie and I become Facebook friends last year and she saw that I had now become a photographer specializing in photographing children and families with special needs. I think she took note right then and around the Christmas holidays, she contacted me and mentioned a project she wanted to discuss with me concerning her non profit Bright Children International. She also asked me to do some work for Music to Grow on by photographing some of her clients for their new website they were launching.  I of course accepted the offer to work with Music to Grow on.  I knew it would be a great experience and opportunity and it was! You can check out some of my photos here on her site Music To Grow On

Bessie also told me about her non-profit organization, Bright Children International and asked if I might be interested in photographing their upcoming trip to Nicaragua. BRIGHT Children International is a non profit organization that has a passion for children with special needs. Throughout the planet , there are stigmas associated with children with special needs. In many countries, children with special needs are abandoned or sent to orphanages. Birth families who choose to raise their children with special needs do not have governmental supports in many areas of the globe.  

Bright Children International strives to:


* Educate and train care providers of children with special needs on the potential of their children.
* Provide therapeutic interventions to children with special needs.
* Donate equipment and education materials to assist care providers and children.
* Assist children with special needs in reaching their potential.

I have to say, it didn't take long to decide that I would love to photograph her and her team on this amazing trip. After Bessie had a discussion with Amy the co-founder of Bright, I provided my credentials, my bio, and letter of intent, and I was in!

For me, it is not only a photographers dream but it is a personal one as well. My husband and I understand very well the demands of raising a child who has multiple challenges and varying abilities. After all, Nicholas, our son, is the main reason I began Corinne Michele Photography. We understand that parenthood isn't always going to be what you expected it to be. We also know now that when you give birth to a child with special needs, it doesn't mean that life as you knew it was in a sense, over.  If anything, we have always said we are all richer in so many ways because of Nicholas.

If I can share any of my real life experiences of raising a child with special needs with a parent or caregiver in Nicaragua, that will make this trip even more special.

I would be crazy if I didn't take a moment to thank everyone for their support in all the fundraising efforts we have been doing over the last 6 months. If it weren't for you we wouldn't be going! I also need to seriously thank my husband who will be holding down the fort on his own at the Asbell home. I know it is a lot to ask of him and my family and I greatly appreciate their sacrifice for me to travel on this journey. Lastly, to my friends who will be helping with play dates for Maddie while I'm away, you ladies ROCK! Maddie is thrilled to have a schedule of play dates posted on the fridge.

Ok, so I have cleaned the house, washed all the laundry, scheduled the play dates, shopped for groceries, managed the administrative duties that I could before I leave, and am almost done packing. What my house looks like when I get back might be another story, but as long as everyone is still in one piece, it is all good. 

My next post will be from Nicaragua, so until then, Adios! 


No comments:

Post a Comment